Stacks Image 2306
saltwood castle

Saltwood Map
Saltwood Directory
Route Finder

There is a delightful circular walk starts at Brockhill Country Park, a Site of Conservation Interest. The park, once part of the estate of a Norman manor, has a central lake and full facilities for a family day out, including refreshments. The walk leads from the park through Willow Wood and on along quiet country lanes. The woodland was previously used in salt preparation. It was burned to help evaporate water from saltpans along the seashore. The route passes through the beautiful village of Saltwood, and offers the chance to admire the impressive 12th century parish church dedicated to St Peter and St Paul.

SALTWOOD - PLACES OF INTEREST | SALTWOOD - POINTS OF INTEREST | SALTWOOD - PEOPLE OF INTEREST

Whether you are looking for relaxation and the chance to unwind or for something more active including great hand's on fun for the younger family members then Kent is the place for you. With many award winning attractions featured together with the best known places to visit and many smaller less well known attractions.
Choose from enchanting gardens, historic houses, mysterious castles, cathedrals and country churches, fascinating museums, animal parks, steam trains, amazing maritime heritage and much more.
PLAN YOUR VISIT
Saltwood
Stacks Image 3307
In the centre of Saltwood village is the village green with a newly renovated war memorial and an ancient water fountain. The village hall is available for parties, reception, dance, anniversary, wedding, regular meetings, classes, music, drama, or club activities of any kind. In a picturesque setting overlooking the village green in the heart of Saltwood's conservation area, the hall was built in 1899.
There are Two primary schools and a secondary school within the village.
Saltwood Directory
Hythe & Saltwood Sailing Club
Stacks Image 7459
Situated just off the large shingle beach at Hythe, Hythe and Saltwood Sailing Club provides great facilities for sailing and windsurfing in an informal, friendly environment. A real ‘family’ club, we welcome visitors and new members alike; you’ll soon feel ‘part of the family’. The sailing and windsurfing at Hythe is excellent, ranging from those warm, flat days, ideal for beginners, to demanding force 8 gales; enough to test the most proficient windsurfer. Usually, however, conditions are a more sedate force 2 to 4 in the prevailing south-westerly winds.
Hythe & Saltwood Sailing Club is situated on the sea front at Hythe, Kent, 10 minutes from the M20 motorway. This position allows the Club to take advantage of the excellent sailing area provided by Hythe Bay, with the convenience of Hythe town and other nearby sporting facilities. Members of the Club come from all aspects of the local community, from retired couples, to young families with children. For the non-sailor there is a social membership at a specially reduced rate.
The well appointed clubhouse, whose sun deck overlooks Marine Parade, has a licensed bar, a galley providing hot food and refreshments, changing rooms with hot showers, a large dinghy park and a secure sailboard storage garage. All club facilities, the bar and galley are run by Club members on a voluntary basis, thus ensuring a friendly atmosphere for the whole family.
The Club has two main activity sections, designed to promote both dinghy sailing and windsurfing. However the Club also has a strong social programme, with numerous parties, BBQ’s and fun sports for everyone’s enjoyment. Special events are also held throughout the year with open days and regattas.
Map Directions
The American Gardens
Nestling amid the undulating hills leading from the North Downs to the southernmost Kentish coastline there is a small valley. Hidden here is a gem of astounding beauty, a treasure awaiting discovery: a secret garden in the depths of Kent.

Named after the Californian Redwood tree planted 150 years ago at its centre, The American Garden remains a place of tranquillity, brimming with a vibrant array of rhododendrons and scented azaleas, interwoven by sunlit glades and meandering pathways.
For the month of May the Harland family, owners of the property since 1947, open the garden and invite you to spend a soothing afternoon strolling through its eight acres, absorbing the peaceful atmosphere and escaping into a picturesque world of breathtaking blossom.
Map Directions
Hythe Art Society
Stacks Image 4385
Hythe Art Society was formed in 1965, and is now a thriving, well-supported Society. We meet fortnightly on Wednesdays in the St. John Ambulance Hall in Albert Lane, Hythe, CT21 6BY. Meetings start at 2.15. From September to May we have a monthly demonstration by a professional artist, then a workshop on the alternative Wednesdays, where members can try out the techniques demonstrated the previous meeting or ‘do their own thing’. We also have a Summer outdoor painting programme from June to September, run organised trips to various London Galleries, and have regular video evenings at Saltwood Parish Church. There is a DVD and video Library available at demonstration meetings and we have various other art-related activities and events through the year.
Map Directions
Hythe History Room
Stacks Image 3379
An interesting local museum covering the history of Hythe, situated next to the Town Council Offices in Oaklands. Access (no stairs) is via the Public Library through an entrance hall used as an arts / crafts gallery.
RHDR
Stacks Image 3388
Hythe is the northern terminus of the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway, running third-scale steam and diesel locomotives. The track runs parallel to coast through Dymchurch and New Romney to Dungeness. The founders were Captain J Howey and Count Louis Zborowski. It opened in 1927. The trains run on a gauge of 15 inches (380 mm) in width, and the track is nearly 14 miles (23 km) long. During the Second World War the service transported the Operation Pluto pipeline.
Laurel & Hardy Video
Map Directions
800 Years of the Magna Carta
My favourite bit From "Hancock - "Twelve Angry Men"
Magna Carta, does it mean nothing to you?...
Saltwood News
HYTHE DANCE COMPANY GRANTED LOTTERY MONEY
A HYTHE-based dance company has been granted £14,600 from Arts Council England to host a new community project.
Instep Dance Company has secured the funding from the Grants for the Arts, which is a Lottery-funded grant programme for groups, and will be used for an “intergenerational project”.
The funding is expected to cover half of the costs needed for the project, with the other half coming from sponsorship.
Company founder Jackie Mortimer said: “It’s so important to give young dancers a total experience to open their eyes to the world of dance beyond the comfort of their training at home.

“This funding gives us access to professional dancers and companies and broadens horizons developing aspiration.”
The project will also work alongside composers, choreographers, costume and lighting designers and it aims to “awareness of the value of participation in dance”.
HYTHE VENETIAN FETE 2015
Hythe Venetian Fete
Wednesday 19 August 2015
Royal Military Canal, Hythe, Kent
FLOATING EXTRAVAGANZA OF FAMILY FUN
PROCESSIONS OF DECORATED FLOATS
LIVE MUSIC - ENTERTAINMENTS - FIREWORKS AT DUSK
Gates open 4pm, Events start at 5pm,
Procession of floats - 7pm and after dark

FREE BAND CONCERTS
Canal Bank - 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th August 2015
For over 1000 things to see and do this month in Kent see the "What's On"
NEW STREET SIGNS FOR HYTHE
Hythe now has some new, very smart illustrated map and information street signs to make finding what you want to see or do that bit easier. Strategically placed in Aldi's Car park, at Waitrose and Princes Parade.
Stacks Image 8674
Lympne Castle
Stacks Image 3436
St. Stephen's church and Lympne Castle overlook Romney Marsh, the church being significantly older, and close by Lympne Hill figures in the Doctor Syn stories.
More about Lympne
Royal Military Canal
Stacks Image 3476
Take time out on a crisp sunny day and stroll alongside the Royal Military Canal, one of Kent’s famous pieces of local history. Discover its wildlife, beauty and past on a walking route in Hythe.

The Royal Military Canal runs across the northern edge of the marsh, to Winchelsea. Running under Stade Street, the canal, intended to repel invasion during the Napoleonic wars of 1804 to 1815, gives central Hythe its character. Now shaded by trees, the canal, 30 feet (10m) wide passes into the marsh from the middle of the town. The canal begins at Seabrook and runs through Hythe and across Romney Marsh to Winchelsea. Its 26-mile length can be walked.
Electric Boat Trip Video
Hythe Farmers Market
Stacks Image 3395
Nearby, Hythe's market once took place in Market Square (now Red Lion Square) close to where there is now a Farmers' Market every second and fourth Saturday of the month.
Map Directions
Venetian Fete
Stacks Image 7425
HYTHE VENETIAN FETE 2015
Hythe Venetian Fete
Wednesday 19 August 2015
Royal Military Canal, Hythe, Kent
FLOATING EXTRAVAGANZA OF FAMILY FUN
PROCESSIONS OF DECORATED FLOATS
LIVE MUSIC - ENTERTAINMENTS - FIREWORKS AT DUSK
Gates open 4pm, Events start at 5pm,
Procession of floats - 7pm and after dark
FREE BAND CONCERTS
Canal Bank - 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th August 2015
Every two years, Hythe hosts the Hythe Venetian Fete, when organisations and individuals create decorated floats which travel up and down the Royal Military Canal.
Saltwood Shopping
Stacks Image 3483
Across from the green is the Castle pub with a beer garden. There is also have a well stocked village store, an estate agent and a local restaurant.
Nearby Hythe has a long ancient High Street is restricted to traffic, making it a delightful place to wander and discover the many small independent shops that reside there. There are plenty of shops to suit all tastes.
Saltwood Directory
Brockhill Country Park
Stacks Image 7388
It was previously once part of a large estate, dating back to Norman times. The old manor house is adjacent to the park. This was once Brockhill Park, now used as the main building of Brockhill Park Performing Arts College. The estate is connected with the Tourney family, until the death of the eccentric William Tourney Tourney (the last Lord of Brockhill Manor) in 1903. Who seems to have a reputation for world travel and oddness as well as gaining an extra Tourney (to his name!). Upon his death, he is said to have ordered that his constant companions, his dog and his horse, were to be killed and buried with him. The grave of the dog is next to William's on an island in the middle of one of the lakes, that are now part in Brockhill Country Park.
Map Directions
My Image

Brockhill Country
Park Brochure

Tourism Brochures
Eaton Lands
Eaton Lands are one of Saltwood’s hidden treasures with precious few visitors discovering this delightful area of mature ancient woodland, meadows and wild flowers. In addition to the abundance of wildlife and nature on display it is also a great place to discover some peace and quiet, whilst still within a modern town environment. Eaton Lands are open every day of the year and is a short walk from the parish church of St Leonards. Eaton Lands Hythe, Kent CT21 5HY
Map Directions
Hythe Cricket & Squash Club
Stacks Image 7494
Hythe Cricket and Squash Club host a number of different sports, much more than the name would imply.
Cricket: Hythe boasts several cricket teams which are played at varying levels. The First XI Play in the Kent League on a Saturday afternoon and our annual overseas player usually plays in this team. In 2014,we are lucky enough to have IPL player Sujit Nayak as our overseas player.
The Second XI also play in the Kent League on a Saturday afternoon and with their varied age group are a pleasure to watch.
The Sunday XI play in the East Kent League. Again, the varied age group makes for an enjoyable game.
The Cavaliers are a non-league team who play cricket on a Monday evening. This is a more relaxed game and the players and spectators clearly enjoy the matches
Colts Cricket: Colts training in held Sunday mornings 10-12.00hrs for children from 6-18 years. Matches for these age groups are usually held the same time. Hot and cold drinks along with snacks are for sale during these sessions.
Coaching is available for those aged 6-15 years. Those aged 15-18 years have the opportunity to join the V-Cricket scheme.
Squash and Racketball: Squash is played on our two indoor, newly refurbished courts. Adults can play competitively in the league or just for fun.
Junior Squash: Junior squash is coached on a Saturday morning 10.30-12.00hrs. Parental spectators are welcome (if your children allow it!)
Football: The adult football team, Grove Grovellers, play from October to March.
Children’s football: Hythe Cricket and Squash Club are linked with Stars and Stripes, the children’s football teams in Hythe. Winter matches are played on the outfield of the club.
Golf: The Golf Society is an informal group who play golf, socialise and enjoy food.
Map Directions
Port Lympne
Stacks Image 3499
Port Lympne Wild Animal Park & Gardens
There's an animal for everyone at Port Lympne. One of the largest wild animal parks in the UK, with plenty of wide open spaces for our animals to roam. Committed to conservation, putting animals first and treating them as guests. World leader in breeding rare and endangered species.
More about Lympne

Kent Tourism Guides & Maps - Click to View

My Image

Romney-Marsh-Churches

My Image

Royal-Military-Canal

My Image

Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway Timetable 2015

My Image

Battle_Guide

Kent Brochures
Kent Interactive Maps
Kent Towns & Villages

Saltwood Castle was the ancestral home of Lord Deedes and later home to Lord Kenneth Clark, the art historian, and his son Alan Clark, Conservative MP, military historian and renowned diarist.

Saltwood Castle - Kent - Interactive Map
On the image below - hover over the Red buttons for click for details

Image Map
Saltwood derives its name from the village in its shadow. During the reign of king Canute the manor of Saltwood was granted to the priory of Christ Church in Canterbury, but during the 12th century it became home of Henry d'Essex, constable of England.
Thomas Becket had sought from King Henry II restoration of the castle as an ecclesiastical palace. Henry instead granted the castle to Ranulf de Broc.

That the castle had been returned to Becket, as archbishop of Canterbury, and remained a church property until the reign of Henry VIII, when Hythe and Saltwood were to be sequestrated to the Crown, suggests that some complicity by the baron Rranulf de Broc was possible in the murder of Becket. It was during this time at Saltwood, on 28 December 1170, that four knights plotted Becket's death the following day. Hugh de Moreville was one of the knights, along with Reginald Fitzurse, William de Tracey, and Richard le Breton.

Saltwood Castle - Timeline
Medieval moated castle, barbican, curtain wall. Scheduled Monument. Monument Number 463799 Grade I Listed Building

*
Medieval garrisoned castle with battlements, armoury, undercroft and torture chamber.
*
Built on a Roman site.
488
First built by Aesc, son of Hengist.
833
Recorded in a charter.
1026
Charter shows it was granted to Canterbury Cathedral by King Canute.
1066
Held for a short while by Odo, Bishop of Bayeux.
1072
Returned to Canterbury Cathedral by the Count of Pendenheath.
1080
Held by Hugo de Montfort. Repairs carried out.
*
The Earl of Montfort’s family lost the castle when opposing Henry I and it passed to the d’Essex family.
1100-1135
During: Robert de Montfort was exiled and the castle went to the Crown. It was granted to Henry de Essex, Baron of Raleigh, Constable of England and the King’s Standard Bearer.
1160
Inner bailey and five towers built by Henry d’Essex, Constable of England and Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports.
*
Henry de Essex rebuilt the castle, but his lands were confiscated when his behaviour in Wales was not accepted by the King.
1154-1189
Thomas Becket gained control of the castle.
1164
Following Thomas Beckets arguments with Henry II, the castle passed back to Ranulf de Broc.
1170
Tradition: The four knights who killed Thomas Becket plotted his death in the Great Hall on December 28th.
*
Following the death of Thomas Becket, Henry II retained and dismantled part of the castle.
1173-1174
Slighted when the walls were pulled down and the motte levelled.
1199
King John returned it to the See of Canterbury. It then became a Bishop’s Palace and had a Constable who looked after it.
1240
Outer bailey added.
1326
Edward II stayed.
1380
Gatehouse, Hall and domestic buildings added.
1381
Archbishop Courtenay enlarged the castle and enclosed the park.
1382
Extensively remodelled by Archbishop William Courtney, including the eastern tower built into the barbican, two towers added to the inner curtain wall to the south and the outer curtain wall was added.
1389
Lollard, Lord William Thorpe escaped during an earthquake, where he had been kept a prisoner.
1390
William Courtney, Archbishop of Canterbury, enlarged the keep and added two watch towers and a twin cylinder gatehouse.
14th C
Late: Second building in inner bailey dates from and was used as the Archbishops audience chamber.
1417
Archbishop Chicheley lived at the castle.
1531
Archbishop Warham leased it to Sir Edward Nevil.
1540 c
Archbishop Cranmer was the last Archbishop to live at the castle. The castle, park and manor were granted to Thomas Cromwell, Earl of Essex.
1541
The castle, park and manor were again held by the Crown.
1547
Granted to John Dudley, Earl of Warwick.
1550 c
John Dudley, Earl of Warwick, conveyed them back to the Crown in exchange for other lands.
1551
Edward VI granted them to Edward Fynes, Lord Clinton.
1552
Edward Fynes, Lord Clinton, conveyed them back to the Crown.
1553
Queen Mary granted them back to Edward Fynes, Lord Clinton.
*
Edward Fynes, Lord Clinton, conveyed them to Mr. Thomas Broadnax, of Hythe. He disparked the park.
*
Mr. Thomas Broadnax conveyed it to Richard Monins.
1560
Richard Monins died and they were given to Mr. Reginald Knatchbull.
1575
Mr. Reginald Knatchbull sold them to Mr. Crispe. Mr Crispe then sold it back to Mr. Reginald Knatchbull.
1580
Fell into disrepair and said to be uninhabitable following an earthquake.
1589
Reginald Knatchbull conveyed them to William Gibbon, of Westcliffe.
1595
William Gibbon conveyed them to Norton Knatchbull, of Meresham.
1599
Norton Knatchbull sold them to Robert Cranmer, Esq., of Chevering.
1619
Robert Cranmer died and his daughter, Anne, inherited. Anne married Sir. Arthur Herrys, of Crixley, Essex.
1625-1649
During: Cranmar Herrys conveyed them to Sir. William Boteler.
1641
Sir. William Boteler was created a Baronet by Charles I.
1712
Sir. Philip Boteler sold them to Brook Bridges (1), Esq., of Goodnestone.
1799
Brook Bridges (2) great grandson of Brooke Bridges (1) held the site.
19th C
Fell into decay, but was restored and was converted into a home.
1930's
Restored by Lady Conway of Alington.
1953
Bought by Kenneth McKenzie Clark and created Lord Clark of Saltwood.
1963
Field Investigation.
1969
Field Investigation.
1983
Kenneth McKenzie Clark, Lord Clark of Saltwood, died and it was inherited by Alan Clark.
1999
Alan Clark died and his widow, Jane, inherited.
20th C
Hall restored by architect Philip Tilden.
21st C
On the English Heritage Buildings at Risk Register.
*
PRIVATE PROPERTY NOT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC

1885 diagram showing restoration of the gatehouse

During World War II, Nazi Hermann Göring ordered the Luftwaffe not to bomb Hythe, as he had designated Saltwood as his post-invasion home.The castle was the childhood home of Bill Deedes and was purchased in 1955 by Kenneth Clark, whose son Alan Clark subsequently lived there. After Alan Clark's death he was buried in the grounds of the castle, which remains in the Clark family today.
Stacks Image 5459

Saltwood Castle
Hythe Kent CT21 4QU
OPEN GARDEN & PLANT SALE
Sunday September 20th 10am - 4pm
ENTRANCE £5

Twice a year there is the opportunity to visit this private medieval castle, home of the late Hon. Alan Clark
ROMANTIC GARDENS - CRAFTS - WONDERFUL PLANTS - CLASSIC CARS
Archery with The Castle Moat Archers.
Free Parking - Dogs welcome on a lead
Food & Refreshments by
"Saltwood On The Green"

"Romancing Saltwood Castle " by Fellow Peter T J Rumley
2 October 2014. Ordinary Meeting of Fellows.

This lecture was sponsored and hosted by the Society of Antiquaries of London in its apartments at Burlington House, Piccadilly, London. The Society recorded the proceedings and, with permission of the speaker(s), made them available online.
Stacks Image 6865


Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs) in Kent, England. In England the body responsible for designating SSSIs is Natural England, which chooses a site because of its fauna, flora, geological or physiographical features. As of 2008, there are 98 sites designated in this Area of Search, of which 67 have been designated due to their biological interest, 21 due to their geological interest and 10 for both.

Below is a "Where's the path?" link to map pages of each area of Special Scientific interest in Kent. Here you will be able to view various maps of each location including Aerial, Satellite, Dual View, old Ordnance Survey maps, Cycle routes and much more.

Lympne Escarpment

The site consists of a steep escarpment of Kentish ragstone formed by the Hythe Beds of the Lower Greensand. Ragstone is a hard sandy limestone which produces calcareous soils. The grassland and woodland of this site are among the best remaining examples of semi-natural habitats on ragstone in Kent. Wet ash- maple is the predominant woodland type with a small area of calcareous ash- wych elm wood. Many plants usually associated with chalk soils occur in the grassland. The south-facing slope is close to the sea and the resulting mild humid conditions encourages the growth of ferns and mosses. Numerous springs and flushes occur at the base of the escarpment at the junction of the ragstone and the Atherfield Clay.
Lympne Park Wood is the largest remaining example of ash coppice woodland on the ragstone escarpment. It is thought to be of ancient origin with a long history of woodland cover. Most of the wood is ash, field-maple and hazel coppice with oak and ash standards. Wych elm is present in a small area in the south-east corner. Many of the mature elms have been killed by Dutch elm disease but some saplings have survived. The calcareous nature of the soil is shown by the presence of shrubs such as spindle Euonymus europaeus, wayfaring-tree Viburnum lantana and privet Ligustrum vulgare. The ground flora is mostly dominated by brambles Rubus fruticosus but other plants present include stinking iris Iris foetidissima, early-purple orchid Orchis mascula and common spotted orchid Dactylorhiza fuchsii.
Outcrops of ragstone are frequent on the upper slopes of the escarpment. The vegetation here is dominated by grasses such as fescues Festuca species cock’s- foot Dactylis glomerata, false oat-grass Arrhenatherum elatius and tor-grass Brachypodium pinnatum. Grazing helps to minimise a diverse flowering plant community including cowslips Primula veris, carline thistle Carlina vulgaris and hound’s-tongue Cynoglossum officinale which are associated with calcareous soils. Due to the high humidity of the area wood sedge Carex sylvatica and stinking iris, species usually restricted to woods, are able to grow in the open grassland.
Past landslips have produced much scree at the foot of the escarpment and the grassland here is dominated by tor-grass. The marshy ground below the springline has tall herb vegetation including plants such as great horsetail Equisetum telemateia, great willowherb Epilobium hirsutum, ragged-robin Lychnis flos-cuculi and water figwort Scrophularia auriculata.
Where's the path? Use the link below.
Lympne Escarpment Maps

Seabrook Stream

The interest of this site centres on the alder carr and fen communities that support an exceptional number of cranefly species. The varied geology over the course of the stream has given rise to a range of conditions in which different habitats have developed in close proximity.
Rising in a wooded valley below the Chalk of the North Downs near Folkestone, the Seabrook Stream crosses a belt of Gault Clay before cutting into the Lower Greensand. A springline occurs at the junction between the Folkestone and Sandgate Beds of the Lower Greensand series, resulting in numerous seepages on both sides of the valley and a gradation from dry sandy conditions, towards the top of the valley sides, to saturated peat and tributary streams on the valley floor.
Base-rich springline alder carr has developed on the wettest soils and here the ground flora is varied. Characteristic species such as opposite-leaved golden saxifrage Chrysosplenium oppositifolium, lesser pond-sedge Carex acutiformis and common valerian Valeriana officinalis are frequent in some areas along with marsh marigold Caltha palustris and yellow flag Iris pseudacorus. In the west of the site where a tributary stream arises there are more willows Salix spp and the ground flora is dominated by sedges Carex spp and wood club-rush Scirpus sylvaticu. Where seepages arise above the woodland rich flush communities occur, generally dominated by great horsetail Equisetum telemateia and great willowherb Epilobium hirsutum but also including greater pond-sedge Carex riparia, marsh horsetail Equisetum palustre and common spotted-orchid Dactylorhiza fuchsia. There are several areas of reedswamp dominated by common reed Phragmites australis within the site, the largest extending to almost two hectares.
On the drier slopes of the valley there is woodland, scrub and neutral grassland. The woodland canopy is dominated by oak Quercus robur, ash Fraxinus excelsior and hazel Corylus avellana with bluebells Hyacinthoides non-scripta, red campion Silene dioica and moschatel Adoxa moschatellina frequent amongst the ground flora. The scrub is principally of hawthorn Crataegus monogyna, elder Sambucus niger and blackthorn Prunus spinosa. Within the grassland are found species characteristic of basic soils, such as stemless thistle Cirsium acaule as well as other species characteristic of more acid soils, such as heath speedwell Veronica officinalis.
The whole of the Seabrook valley supports an exceptional number of cranefly species, 67 having been recorded to date from this site alone. This total includes four nationally scarce species, one being Erioptera limbata, which lives on stream margins, known from only two other sites in Britain. It is the seepages within the alder carr providing a wide range of moisture regimes, that allow this site to support so many species. 14 other invertebrate species found on the site are nationally scarce: for example the caddis fly Rhvacophila septentrionis which lives in the stream itself and whose larvae feed on those of midges, mayflies and stoneflies; Osmylus fulvicephalus, Britain's largest lacewing, found by wooded streams and whose larvae feed on insects at the water margin; and the harvestman Homalenotus quadridentatus which occurs in the drier grassland further up the valley sides.
Breeding bird species present are known to include reed and sedges warblers, grey wagtail and sand martin. On a national scale sand martins have undergone major population changes in recent years and the quarry in the west of the site contains one of the few significant colonies known in Kent.
Where's the path? Use the link below.
Seabrook Stream Maps
More Sites of Special Scientific Interest in Kent

St Peter and St Paul Church - Saltwood - Kent

St. Peter and St. Paul, Saltwood is a Church of England Parish Church in the Diocese of Canterbury. Many of those who worship here live locally but visitors are welcome and there are refreshments after the main morning service.

Image Map
Stacks Image 5585
Stacks Image 5588
Listen to Saltwood Church Bells
Stacks Image 26452

Lieutenant General Phillip Sandilands
1790 - 1869

Fought at the Battle of Waterloo
1st Lieutenant Royal Artillery
2nd Lt 4 Oct 1806. 1st Lt 1 Feb 1808. 2nd Capt 29Jul 1825. Capt 4 Jun 1836. Bt Major 28 Jun 1838. Lt Colonel 1 Apr 1846. Bt Colonel 20 Jun 1854. Major General 26 Oct 1858. Lt General 24 Aug 1866.

Present at Quatre Bras where he covered the retreat and at Waterloo in Capt Norman Ramsey's Troop. After Ramsay had been killed and Alexander Macdonald and William Brereton wounded, Sandilands was left in command of the troop. Served with the Army of Occupation until Oct 1818. Also served at Walcheren 1809 and Malta 1827-1828. Retired on full pay23 Jun 1846. Deputy Lieutenant for Kent and Justice of the Peace for Hythe.
Lived at Elm Terrace, Hillside Street, Hythe. Mayor of Hythe 1852 – 1854.
Low monument: St Peter and St Paul's Churchyard, Saltwood, Hythe, Kent.
Stacks Image 5044

TO THE MEMORY OF Lt GENERAL PHILLIP SANDILANDS, ROYAL ARTILLERY, JUSTICE OF THE PEACE AND DEPUTY LIEUTENANT FOR THE COUNTY OF KENT, ALSO JUSTICE OF THE PEACE FOR THE BOROUGH OF HYTHE, BORN NUTHILL, PARISH OF FALKLAND, FIFESHIRE, 9th SEPT 1790, DIED AT HYTHE 30th OCTOBER 1869

Lt. General Philip Sandilands's son and grandson were also highly decorated.

Stacks Image 7218
1914 Great War 'Western Front' C.B. Group of Seven to Brigadier-General H.G. Sandilands, Royal Artillery, Commanded 34th Brigade Royal Field Artillery 1914-17. The Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Military Division, Companion's (C.B.) neck Badge, silver-gilt and enamels, in Garrard & Co, London case of issue. India General Service Medal 1895, V.R., one clasp, Punjab Frontier 1897-98 (Captn. H.G. Sandilands 50th Fd. By. R.A.), edge bruise. Queen's South Africa Medal, four clasps, Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, Laing's Nek (Major. H.G. Sandilands. R.F.A.), contact marks to obverse. 1914 Star, with Bar (Lt: Col: H.G. Sandilands. R.F.A.). British War Medal and Victory Medal, M.I.D. Oakleaves (Brig. Gen. H.G. Sandilands.). Coronation Medal 1911. C.B. London Gazette 18.2.1915 Lieutenant-Colonel H.G. Sandilands (34th Brigade). Brigadier-General Henry George Sandilands, C.B., born 1864; Lieutenant Royal Artillery, 1884; Captain 1893; Acting Adjutant, Peshawar District, 23.8.1897-30.9.1897; Major 1900; served as Adjutant 2nd Brigade Division Royal Field Artillery in South Africa (Mentioned in Despatches London Gazette 8.2.1901); Lieutenant-Colonel 1910; Colonel 1913; Officer Commanding 34th Brigade Royal Field Artillery 1914-17, and served on the Western Front from, 17.8.1914; Brigadier-General Staff, 3rd Division 25.2.1915-18.2.1916; 54th Division 3.11.1916; served with the Egyptian Expeditionary Force, November 1916-December 1917 (C.B.; M.I.D. London Gazette 19.10.1914; 17.2.1915; 1.1.1916 and 12.1.1918); retired Brigadier-General 1919. Four original WW1 period mentioned in despatches certificates and a large cased Sandhurst V Woolwich bronze athletics prize medal (measures 2 inches across) and dated 4th May 1883. The M.I.D. certificates are from Sir John Ffrench (3) and dated 8/10/1914, 14/1/1915 and 30/11/1915, and a fourth M.I.D. cert from General Sir AJ Murray dated 28/6/1917. All of the certificates are of the printed type with the officers name added in ink and each with the printed signature of Winston Churchill. The dates on the certificates are not the same dates as recorded in the 1924 Army List for this officer, but since they are originals they are obviously correct, and the Army List may record dates of publication in the London Gazette. Also, Who Was Who states Sandiland was MID five times during WW1, whereas the Army Lists specify only four times, so the fifth referred to by Who Was Who probably relates to the award of his CB. MIC Certificates come in their original OHMS registered War Office envelope. Son of Major General Philip Sandilands R.A. Grandson of Lt.-Gen. Philip Sandilands R.A. Mayor of Hythe, Kent. Also served Waterloo with R.H.A. clasp carriages adapted for court mounted wear, (7) VF+
Kent Parishes

Kent Parishes
Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales 1894-1895

SALTWOOD PARISH

Saltwood, a village and a parish in Kent. The village stands three-quarters of a mile N of Hythe, and 1 ESE of Sandling station on the S.E.R., commands a fine view, and has a post office under Hythe; money order and telegraph office, Hythe. The parish contains also the hamlets of Saltwood Green and Pedlinge, and comprises 2387 acres; population of the civil parish, 557; of the ecclesiastical, 717. There is a parish council consisting of seven members.
The manor was given to the see of Canterbury in 1036 by the Danish Karl Halfden. Saltwood Castle, situated close to the village, is said to have been first erected in 488 by Escus or Oisc, king of Kent, was restored or rebuilt in 1080 by Hugo de Montfort, was held for some time by various knights under the archbishops, was the rendezvous of the four knights who planned the murder of A'Becket, passed afterwards to the Crown, but was restored by King John to the archbishops, underwent enlargement and embellishment at great cost by Archbishop Courtenay in the time of Richard II., was thence a residence of the archbishops till the time of Henry VIII., went then to the Crown in exchange for other property, was given by Henry VIII. to the Clintons, passed afterwards through various hands and sank into decay; it continued in a ruinous condition until 1882, when it was completely restored at great labour and expense. The fine double gate-house was included in the restoration and a new block of buildings erected behind it, the whole now constituting a handsome country residence, and presenting an almost singular instance of a castle upwards of 500 years old having been successfully adapted for this purpose. It is the residence and property of the Deedes family. Brockhill House has been the seat of the Tournay family since 1498. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury; net value, £260 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury.
The church is chiefly of the time of Edward III., and has been restored. There is a mission church in connection with the parish church.
More Kent Parishes
Stacks Image 5777


KENTPOI
Kent - Places of Interest | Kent - Points of Interest | Kent - People of Interest

Shepway Cross
Stacks Image 4588
A monumental cross now indicates what was from 1358 a meeting place of the confederation of the Cinque ports, several miles west of Hythe, known then as "the Shepway crossroads". Shepway cross, erected in 1923, the monument to the Court of Shepway, is beside the Hythe to Lympne road (B2067).
The lathe of Shepway was the Saxon name for south east Kent, roughly corresponding with the modern District of Shepway, comprising Folkestone, Hythe, Romney Marsh and nearby villages as far north as Elham.
Many think this monument marks where the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports held his court for Shepway, and it is referred to as the “Shepway Cross”. In fact the Shepway Cross is a civic war memorial erected in 1923. It was placed on the top of Lympne Hill because that was traditionally the site of the Court of Shepway.
Shepway Cross was paid for and unveiled in August 1923 by Earl Beauchamp, the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports. The Archbishop of Canterbury, Randall Davidson, attended the ceremony. The memorial now shows signs of decay. The lettering denoting the monument's true purpose is hardly legible.
Stacks Image 4593

Smugglers, Shipwrecks, Spies

Half close your eyes and you can picture darting figures, bringing ashore their booty: Brandy for the Parson, ’Baccy for the Clerk; Laces for a lady, letters for a spy... Enjoy the thrill of the chase and get hot on their heels!
Kent’s coast, so near to the Continent, was prime territory for ‘free trading’, no place more so than remote Romney Marsh. To this day you feel far away from the bustle of ordinary life here, the squat Romney Marsh sheep still grazing as they have for centuries. When massive taxes on exports of wool were imposed in the 13th century, locals made fat profits from smuggling fleeces to weavers on the Continent.
Explore their haunts, including the medieval marsh churches: look in Snargate church for the wall painting of a ship dating from 1500 – smugglers’ code for a safe place to hide illicit goods. And soak up the atmosphere of the old Woolpack inn near Brookland, once a smugglers’ base. The contrabandists were nicknamed ‘owlers’ because they communicated by hooting at dead of night and they came from all sections of society. Flick through Russell Thorndyke’s Dr Syn novel (1915) and you’ll find even the vicar of Dymchurch led a double life as a smuggler.
Then blow away the cobwebs scrunching across the wild, shingle beach of Dungeness. In one week in 1813 free traders landed 12,000 gallons of brandy here, out of sight of prying eyes. After filling your lungs with fresh air, skirt up the coast to Folkestone, passing the territory of the notorious 19th-century Aldington Gang. Smugglers in Folkestone often brought ashore goods in East Wear Bay. Preventive forces knew most people were in cahoots with the trade and expected no help in catching them.
Kent Place Names
Stacks Image 4535
If you have wandered through the Kent Downs whether on foot, by horse, bicycle or car will have, at one time or another, pondered over the meaning of place names of towns , villages or hamlets that we normally take for granted in our everyday lives. Places such as Pett Bottom, Bigbury and Bobbing conjure up all manner of intriguing images as to the activities of former inhabitants, while others such as Whatsole Street, Smersole or Hartlip appear completely baffling.
Although most place names may appear at first sight to be random elements of words thrown together in no particular order, most are surprisingly easy to decipher with some elementary grounding in Old English. Over the centuries most of the Old English words have themselves corrupted and changed to appear as we know them today.
Kent Place Names
Kentish Dialect
Stacks Image 4545
Modern Kentish dialect shares many features with other areas of south-east England (sometimes collectively called "Estuary English"). Other characteristic features are more localised. For instance some parts of Kent, particularly in the north west of the county, share many features with broader Cockney.

A Dictionary of the Kentish Dialect and Provincialisms: in use in the county of Kent' by W.D.Parish and W.F.Shaw (Lewes: Farncombe,1888)
'The Dialect of Kent: being the fruits of many rambles' by F. W. T. Sanders (Private limited edition, 1950). Every attempt was made to contact the author to request permission to incorporate his work without success. His copyright is hereby acknowledged.
Kentish Dialect
About Us
Kentpoi is a free resource.
We seek to offer our visitors something entertaining, interesting and relevant every time they visit this website.

We are constantly updating the content of this website based on the feedback from our audience.

Advertise on this website?

Target Specific Advertising

Terms & Conditions

Terms & Conditions

Privacy Policy

Privacy Policy

Contact
Our Friends
Stacks Image 3369

Kentculture - Promoting Talent
Kentculture

Stacks Image 3373

Website designed and maintained by Themeweavers

Kent Tourism Brochures
Kent Interactive Maps
Kent Towns & Villages